This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook's superstore for talking shop: colons vs. semicolons; dialogue format; point of view.  And everything in between.
Posted: 3/25/2013 6:56 PM PST
Thanks Lycaon
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 3/24/2013 5:23 PM PST
For 'gets ill' I would indeed use 'became ill' or 'fell ill' maybe. Or more specifically 'contracted/caught xxxx' if we know what the illness is.

Posted: 3/24/2013 5:08 PM PST
Riis, thank you for sharing that. How about when someone "gets" ill? What is the proper way to say? Became ill? acquired an illness?

Posted: 3/24/2013 5:09 AM PST
Thanks for that, and I never take offence to being corrected. You are quite correct. I suppose that when I was thinking 'alternative' the two 'options' were using 'gotten' or not using 'gotten', but thinking about it in detail, 'alternative' is much more appropriate. And I agree that its use in dialogue should be given an amnesty for authenticity purposes.

Posted: 3/24/2013 4:17 AM PST
Hello Lycaon Yes, I agree 'gotten' is a horrible word and I never use it. I occasionally use 'got' in conversation but never in print. But remember many people do use it so 'gotten' in some of your dialogue will help make it look authentic. By the way, speaking of correct usage, I think you should have used 'option' rather than 'alternative' in your post - 'alternative' is to be used when there are only two choices, 'option' when there are more than two. Sorry to be so picky but I seriously appreciate it when people correct MY usage because I think it helps me improve my writing, particularly as an American expat living and writing in Britain for a British readership. All the best with your writing. Warmest regards Riis

Posted: 3/22/2013 9:31 AM PST
In my English lessons in school (admittedly quite some time ago), we were told that there is always a better substitute for the word 'got' in any writing. And as for 'gotten'.... Oh the horror ! I am amazed by the number of good authors I read nowadays that can't be bothered to utilise language properly (or their Thesaurus) and take the lazy way out by using 'gotten'. It's a personal hate of mine and I find it stops my reading in its tracks as I try to think of a better alternative (there is ALWAYS a better alternative). Am I alone in this or are there others who loathe this apparent laziness ? Am I being too sensitive or a literary snob ? If not, maybe we should start a 'get gotten banned' campaign ;)