This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 7/25/2009 3:34 PM PDT
Here's an idea. This is what I did. I thought up an original plot and I used the characters from the musical Wicked (Elphaba and Galinda) and some of my own characters as well and I wrote a four part series (three hundred pages per story) using those characters. Then I went back and changed all the names and places in the story and it was an original. And when I wrote Elphaba I wrote her as an original character and not how she is portrayed in the book or musical so she was original from the start in my story. Hope that made sense and hope it helps.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 6/13/2009 9:07 AM PDT
Yes, don't jump too far from what you're already writing. Don't try to go from fanfics to something like serious non-fiction. Maybe making up your own story that is along the same lines as fanfics, with your own ideas. Slowly it'll come. :)

Posted: 6/12/2009 8:24 PM PDT
Start off slowly. I guess you can say that you have to "wean" yourself off of fanfics. Try creating something with influences from books, anime, ect. For example, if you love the anime Rurouni Kenshin, use bits and pieces to create your own plot. (Without copying them of course.) Use things like the time setting, location, character's name, whatever. Soon enough, you'll be able to think of those kinds of things on your own. Hope this helps XD

Posted: 4/22/2009 11:00 AM PDT

ulyferal
Thanks for your input. I've already started writing little short pieces that come to mind. Two are posted here already and have gotten good reviews so far. I'll just work up to the larger works just as I did with my fan fiction stuff.

Posted: 4/21/2009 3:53 AM PDT
我来了

Posted: 4/20/2009 11:31 AM PDT
I have the exact same problem, I have an account on fanfic, but I can't seem to make the jump. I do however have several O.Cs and random plolines, but something that I found that helped was to look at situations around me and make up quick stories in my head for them, I found the more I did that the more I could write my own stuff as opposed to fanfics. An example could be you might be sitting behind someone on the bus,they might just be going to work or he could be going to meet a secret lover, let your imagination run wild. Then you can use this as a platform to start writing non fanfic, because then you aren't relying on other authors. I hope that's helped a bit. xox

Posted: 4/14/2009 7:07 PM PDT

ulyferal
Ive been writing fan fiction since I finally got the courage to just start writing (since Aug 06). I've gotten pretty good and very popular. I'm also a beta for other writers on fanfiction.net. So what's my problem? I want to move from fan fiction writing to publishable writing but I have no idea how to do it! I can't seem to move my mindset to non-fan fiction stuff! Help!