This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 3/26/2010 5:03 PM PST
I forgot to mention that I want guys names. Thanks. WATCH OUT FOR PLOT HOLES!!!!! GothWriter
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 3/26/2010 5:01 PM PST
Thanks for your help. The mix and match thing is a good idea. To those that this applies to, I have thought of using online and bought baby books, but normally I can't decide. That is why I asked people for help. Any other help would still be much obliged. WATCH OUT FOR PLOT HOLES!!!!!!! GothWriter.

Posted: 3/24/2010 9:57 AM PST
I've found the following website really useful. http://www.20000-names.com/ It not only has loads of names, male and female, listed by country of origin, but it gives meanings of names too so you can match them to the characteristics you want. Another way I choose names is to look at the credits at the end of a film, and mix and match first names with last names that I like the sound of. I usually then google the name I've chosen to make sure it doesn't come up as somebody famous! Hope this helps Helen

Posted: 3/24/2010 4:22 AM PST
As an alternative to buying a baby name book, you may already have some suitable books. A local telephone directory, for instance. It's mostly Surnames, at least it is in mine, but that may be what you want, and some surnames can make good unusual first names. Then there's the names of the authors of the books on your bookshelf, and if any of those books is non-fiction and has a bibliography then you can mine that. Street names, either in the phone directory or in the index of a local road map, can be an even better source of inspiration than peoples' names: Streets quite often are named after former councillors and other prominent locals. If you regularly drive through town, you can just look at the street names as you pass them. Or you could use Google Maps to look at the street names near your intended setting (but not too near, you don't want your fiction to be mistaken for biography). And sometimes town names, or even state names ('Indiana' springs to mind for some reason) can also make good character names. If you still need some actual names that are probably about as uncommon as Landon and Tyson - Gilbert (or add an -o for instant ethnicity), Marley, Clay (or Clayton), Willis, Oscar, Prescott, Randall. I hope that helps.

Posted: 3/24/2010 2:47 AM PST
Hmmm dunno wither this is something you'll use but here it goes: Does VESPER sound like a mob name? I used this name for a vampire in my story. Have you thought about buying (people might think your expecting but stuff those retards =D) baby name books or searching online?? And do you need only boy names or girl names too? What about ALEXANDER. you could spell it however you want too make it unique and its a common name that is used out there. ANDREE or BENJAMIN or BILLY Kate_Roux

Posted: 3/23/2010 3:56 PM PST
That didn`t help. I`, looking for names that are uncommon, not traditional mob names. Two characters that I have figured out are named Landon and Tyson. Names like that are uncommon but are out there. Those are the kinds of names that I want/need. Any help is appreciated. GothWriter

Posted: 3/20/2010 5:27 PM PST
In most of the gang/mob stories I've read, the members have outlandish nicknames; sometimes so obscure that you'd have to have known the thug since childhood to understand how he got the name; and sometimes giving a hint as to the villain's speciality. For instance in Terry Pratchett;s Hogfather, the gang members have name like Chickenwire, Banjo and Medium Dave (the latter presumably being a play on the more common 'Big Dave'). In the Genesis song 'The Battle of Epping Forest' there's the Bethnal Green Butcher, Liquid Len and his Smashed Bottle Men, Jones the Jug, and so on. Not to mention the vast cornucopia of villainous names in Dick Tracy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dick_Tracy_villains) The point is, you might try a variation on this theme. I did have a collection of outlandish nicknames that I thought up myself, but I seem to have mislaid it; but it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with new names using the above as inspiration. Jimmy the Leech, No Dice Dave, Weird Andy, just off the top of my head.

Posted: 3/18/2010 7:30 PM PST
Hey all writers. I'm writing a mob based story. It's not like the Mafia, or any official mobs. It's mainly just the idea of a mob; the people in it operate like a mob, has guns and stuff like that, but it's not on the authority's map, yet. I need some help with names. I need a bunch of uncommun names that still fit in with the mob part of the story. I know the whole italien mob stereotype, but I don't want many stereotype names, if any. Any help will be much obliged. Gothwriter