This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 7/31/2009 10:27 AM PDT
I'm usually good with deadlines (the getting things done part), but procrastination makes my quality not-so-great sometimes. However, I have gotten better over the last few years so maybe I won't be so bad. XD I've got a 'deadline' for my novel to be done by the end of the year, but I'm unsure if I'll be able to accomplish that. D:
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 7/28/2009 7:03 PM PDT
Poetry Anthologies. Ugh. The dead line was 1 weeks later. I had to do a lot of poems and reflections on them. I had dead lines everyday. Did they help???? HELL YA!!!!!!!!!!! I chose to work on the reflections first. I did 1 reflection each day and saved the best for last. My own poems. I ended up punching out 2 really awesome poems and one okay poem. The two good poems were from dead lines, the okay one wasn't. That just proves it, doesn't it? Dead lines are GOOD!!!!!!! Get a friend to give you deadlines, such as 3 full pages per week. Trust me, it will help. Hope I helped.

Posted: 10/6/2008 7:14 PM PDT
Deadlines are both good and evil. During my senior year in high school I was constantly talking and not paying attention in my English class. My teacher absolutely loved me, so when dishing out my punishment for not paying attention she would make me write a story to be read infront of the class. She usually gave me a week to get a good story out. One time she even gave me a theme. I had to write a story that took place back in the time where the midwest was just beginning to be settled. I was horrified. I do not write westerns! But I had to do it or else. Dun dun duuuum! A week later I came back to class with a truly amazing story. It was a touching story of a young girl who had lost her mother and younger siblings because of an attack from indians and a few years later gained a new mother from the very tribe that had slain her family. I would never have written that story if my teacher hadn't given me a deadline and a theme to go on. That story that I wrote is one of my top favorites to this day.

Posted: 10/2/2008 10:48 PM PDT
I write for a living and am under constant deadline. I think deadlines are good/bad. On one hand, he puts me under so much pressure and there's not enough time to make the article what I really want it to be. On the other hand, without deadlines I probably would never finish anything.

Posted: 10/1/2008 10:50 PM PDT
i need deadlines, they help me stay on track, latley i've been writing without a deadline, and i've maybe written 3 pages in 3 months it's bad i know, but the rate im going i'll publish when i'm 80. so deadlines are good, and the shorter the deadline the better it is.

Posted: 9/26/2008 10:33 AM PDT
I think it isn't so much of an either or situation. I hate deadlines, because they place so much stress on me, but I've found that I work better when I have some sort of pressure to pull things together. Making promises to myself doesn't seem to work-- I've been telling myself each and every birthday for the last five years that I won't allow myself to pass the next one without publishing a novel-- but having someone else, even if it is just a friend, expecting to see something finished makes me buckle down.

Posted: 9/25/2008 1:49 PM PDT
The only writing deadlines I ever had were at school - but as I'm a keen procrastinator the deadline actually helped me stop over thinking and planning and just start writing something. Given infinite time to do something, I write nothing. I think, I plan, I reorganise ideas, I polish an odd piece of dialogue or two; but nothing gets written. Time pressure forces me to move forward.

Posted: 9/25/2008 7:46 AM PDT
When it comes to writer's block, do deadlines help or hinder? What's your experience with writing deadlines? Do they free you from your perfectionism, or do they just freeze you up? What kinds of deadlines have you experienced? What's the difference between a deadline you set and one set by someone else? Do deadlines set by friends work? How about classes? Does money make a difference? If you stand to get paid if you make a deadline, and not-paid if you don't, do you come through? I'd love to hear your experiences with deadlines! Funny anecdotes and true stories of deadline hell or heaven are welcome.