This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

Historical Fiction Forum
Posted: 5/4/2011 12:00 AM PDT
I say go for it, nothing like those books should stop you from writing your stories, now is better time than any. Maybe now would be a good time to write a book about jypsies lives... what with the tv series 'Big fat Jypsy Wedding' and all... Meh... time will soon tell. ~Ben
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 5/4/2011 12:00 AM PDT
I say go for it, nothing like those books should stop you from writing your stories, now is better time than any. Maybe now would be a good time to write a book about jypsies lives... what with the tv series 'Big fat Jypsy Wedding' and all... Meh... time will soon tell. ~Ben

Posted: 4/29/2011 7:33 AM PDT
Because of WATER FOR ELEPHANTS and CONFESSIONS OF MABEL STARK I wonder if I'm too late to write another American circus book. I'll write it anyway because I'm completely captured by the idea, and I've already put in several hours of research and have spent money on books and circus photos.

Posted: 4/27/2011 7:51 AM PDT
I'm not completely ignorant of the orphan trains, but intact families were still the norm. However, after looking further into it, it now makes sense. Mom abandoned her, but Agnes stll had a father. Apparently, he sent her to live with his parents while he started a new life with his new wife.

Posted: 4/27/2011 7:07 AM PDT
Actually, You're wrong about that. Grandparents often raised their grandkids. Orphans and abandoned children were a HUGE social problem around the turn of the twentieth century. Tens of thousands of children were put on trains from urban areas and sent west to be taken in by families. Often it was to the benefit of the children who found good families and love, but often it was slavery, with farmers looking for slave labor or adolescent or teen girls they could sexually exploit. Googe - Orphan trains - and you'll get tons of research and book references.

Posted: 4/26/2011 6:35 PM PDT
Apparently, it was an unconfirmed family rumor. I was able to find out something interesting about her daughter Agnes, which suggests she didn't have a normal childhood for that era. According to the 1910 census, Agnes lived with her grandparents, and neither one of her parents were listed in the census for that household.

Posted: 4/26/2011 3:40 PM PDT
I found her great-granddaughter!

Posted: 4/26/2011 8:46 AM PDT
I would love to write it, but the only information I can find about this woman is her name, maiden name, where and when she was born, who she married, the year she died, and her daughter's name. (BTW, I love the fact she was also a mother.) That's a start, but I don't even know for which circus she worked. I'm not afraid of research, but gathering facts about her life will be more difficult than I first thought. And much of it will be fictionalized.

Posted: 4/25/2011 10:29 PM PDT
There was book a couple three years back that I thought was horrifically awful but which was HUGE entitled Water for Elephants, which was a dual storyline book about a Circus way back in the day and which I LOVED, and a storyline about an old fart in a nursing home which made me want to gag myself and which literally put my eyes to sleep. At the time I read it I thought what an amazing story it'd be just as a stand alone circus story. A circus story about a girl lion tamer wouild be HUGE and delightful. OMG, you so have to write it. There are SO many historical women of the 20th century that would make HUGELY great stories as factionalized fiction

Posted: 4/25/2011 12:16 PM PDT
wow she sounds amazing wold be fascinating to read about her :)

Posted: 4/25/2011 10:01 AM PDT
Rose Flanders Bascom- the first female lion tamer.

Posted: 4/25/2011 9:49 AM PDT
Who is it? maybe a webooker will have the answer?

Posted: 4/25/2011 8:16 AM PDT
Believe it or not, I finally found a historical idea I feel compelled to write about. Google search provided very little results, which means two things: 1) I'd be the first to write a book about the woman's life 2) It will be a daunting task to find anything about her at all.