This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/5/2008 4:41 AM PDT
thanks alot for the replies :) I'm getting alot of inspiration from pictures, and music already, and it seems to work nicely along with my.. backwards-work xD. -again, thanks alot guys!
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 8/25/2008 12:53 PM PDT
Listen to some inspiring tunes or look at some equally inspiring art! In fact even just going out side and walking around, looking at things, can help you think of something.

Posted: 8/25/2008 9:04 AM PDT
You know how it ends, know the middle, so think about what the back story is on it... What led up to all of this, what's the history... What about the characters? Are you going to create a background just for one or two, or more... Come up with those backgrounds. Hope that helps get some wheels turning. It helps if you make little notes over what you want at the beginning portion of the story, then look over it and start writing and expanding.

Posted: 8/24/2008 4:41 AM PDT

Tkain
I take a very methodical and practical aproach to writing. You have the hard part already accomplished, the idea. Now you right a short chapter summery for the climax, ending, ect. What ever parts you already know. Next comes the most inportant part, the Time Line. the time line is where you work out how your characters move from A to B, wheather that is physical movement or emotional. So you can start with your climax and move backwards, first an hour then a day/week/year/ect... any amount of time incriment that fits your character and story. Once the Time Line is finished you can create a chapter for each location on that time line that you wish to be in your story, and/or one chapter to move them from one point to the next. After you have a list of chapters with a sentance or paragraph defining each you just need to expand each chapter and flesh out the details inside each one as you go. You may find totaly new directions pop up and have to revise your Time Line. Hope that helps and works for you.

Posted: 8/24/2008 2:03 AM PDT
Work backwards - write the end and then in small installments write the lead up. You may need to edit the ending to fit as you go because you may come up with brilliant ideas for earlier in the piece that contradict the ending but use them anyway. Having the ending in place means you know the goal and the characters, you'll also know what needs to be introduced to get you there. Piece by piece construct it and slowly line it up. That's what I'm doing on an unposted project. I wrote the final battle in highschool for an assingment and have been slowly creating the backstory that leads to it. I'm still stuck in places because in reality the final I created is ridiculously complex and the sheer amount of backstory and references is exhausting. I've rewritten the end eighteen times now and every time I add a part in I have to work it over again, but the story is still being written and that's the important thing.

Posted: 8/24/2008 1:44 AM PDT
You see. I haven't even started my story yet, and I'm already blocked -.-. I have alot of very different ideas for stories, but my alltime-problem is; I can't get started! At some point, I have the ending and the best qlimax; but I simply can't start a story. Anyone got any ideas on how to get started?