This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 5/20/2010 10:04 PM PDT
Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gLq3E4pRuU&feature=player_embedded :)
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 5/20/2010 9:44 PM PDT
That is really good, and I like where you're heading. I had investigated the Taliban before, but what I wanted was puritan without total takeover like they did. :) but you got into that in your last paragraph and I really appreciate it. I haven't heard of Cromwell's Commonwealth, but I will sure look into it. Maybe in this future, Muslims are more of a majority? And in recent news I saw the oil spill, and how laws might be being made that restrict drilling in the Gulf. Could that be a start of the downfall towards Puritanism? (So to speak). Other laws like Medical care, border control, attire, etc? Thanks a bunch :)

Posted: 5/19/2010 6:55 AM PDT
That's really good, I heard something about that, I completely forgot about it! That will really help Faero better than I could! Lol R.

Posted: 5/18/2010 8:17 PM PDT
If you're wondering how music might be banned, you could do worse than looking at actual situations where that has actually happened. Consider, e.g. the Taliban when they were in control in Afghanistan, or the situation in England under Cromwell's Commonwealth (which was essentially puritan). In the case of Islam it's not just the Taliban; all sorts of fundamentalists say that music is haram (forbidden). Some make an exception for music which is sung without instrumental accompaniment. Others will allow a drum but nothing else. This has an effect even in the West. There's a Swedish TV documentary about Swedish Muslims trying to prevent other muslims from listening to music.- see http://www.freemuse.org/sw14339.asp - and when Cat Stevens converted to Islam and became Yusuf Islam he stopped making music, and it was only many years later that he started again. Puritans were forbidden to dress up, to dance, and to play music other than religious music, and they tried to extend this rule to everybody, making the time of Cromwell's commonwealth a very difficult time for British theatre. Theatre was actually banned, but opera was not, which may seem a little inconsistent, but that's what you get with extremism. For how music might get banned in modern times and in the West, imagine a popular demagogue being swept into power, and discovering that *every* recorded song has hidden messages in it when played backwards. Not just the usual suspects, but even seemingly innocuous songs like White Christmas. Nobody else can hear these messages, but the demagogue and his inner circle can; so in order to protect the populace from satanic influences he issues an executive order banning all recorded music. Some members of the public are dismayed, but they can see his point, so they reluctantly accede to the ban. After all, it's better to go without music than to be unwittingly urged to murder or to suicide or to anti-establishment, anti-God feelings by the all-pervasive subliminal backwards messages.

Posted: 5/18/2010 2:00 AM PDT
Cool, that sounds good. I hope the back stories help. Good luck with it & I'd love you to keep me up to date with how you're doing?? Any help needed, just ask :) R.

Posted: 5/16/2010 6:44 PM PDT
Well thank you :) Like I said its a rough draft. What my mind set is now is starting before the event(s) that lead up to music being illegal, and then flash forward to Jimmy living in the post-anti-music world. (Solitary college student-esque; playing guitar secretly by himself etc etc). Then he gets this idea (or a buddy with this idea comes back and talks to him) about starting the band and picking up from there. That's just where I'm at right now. I like your idea of writing backstories for characters, I'll most definitely do that and see where it takes me. :)

Posted: 5/16/2010 5:16 AM PDT
That's really really good. It's instantly interesting and I'm loving the Characters already. Lol. I'll definitely read your book when its published :) Erm I understand how you're having trouble introducing how the laws came about. I must admit, I can't seem to think of anything ...still :( You could try something that I always do to try get my brain flowing. Try choosing one of the characters, maybe Jimmy the main character and write his life story before everything went wrong. This won't be part of your story unless you like what you write and decide to add it but anyway basically the point is to write Jimmy's life down, not all of it, just around a week or couple days of his life before things went wrong. This may help get your Character to grow and get your literacy and creativity flowing. This may hopefully form an idea of how the laws came about. Hope it helps :) Sorry I couldn't be of more help. As for the next part - what happens when the police bust in. You could have some of the band members being taken therefore the ones left over try to find them and save them etc. Unless that's too predictable. I think having someone die will be too soon, you want the reader to feel sad about the person dying unless you can somehow have the reader get to know a little bit of the character you choose to kill off so soon which will have more of an effect on the reader. P.s I hope you're getting Jimmy and Mel together! ;) Lol R. x

Posted: 5/15/2010 4:45 PM PDT
PS that draft was written a long time ago and is really corny lol. But you get the idea.

Posted: 5/15/2010 4:44 PM PDT
No, totally understand. I have a very, very rough draft up here: http://www.reviewfuse.com/view/723/ Which, by the way, is a very useful review site if you didn't know about it already. Basis is: Music is illegal (skipping the HOW part), there's a band that is being awesome rebels and rocking out in hidden venues at the wee hours of the morning. This goes on until one of the gigs get busted by the police (main antagonists are government enforcers and freelance bounty hunters) and from then on I'm not sure what to do. Is the band scattered? Does someone die? What happens? Does that help?

Posted: 5/15/2010 11:00 AM PDT
You could do the way films do it with someone in the government being evil like Hitler and he brings about laws on things he doesn't like himself. Though you may feel that's too predictable... Is there more info on the book you could give me to get more of an idea of the story. It is one of those apocalypse things where the world is damaged and there's very few survivors or something? You don't have to share though, I understand if you want to keep it to yourself. I just can't really think of anything based on the info you have already given cause I don't have an exact idea of what the story is. Sorry. R. x

Posted: 5/15/2010 9:01 AM PDT
That's an interesting game, and I like the ideas. The part I'm having trouble with now is the build up- laws outlawing music don't just happen. Any ideas for little enforcements or anything slowly remove our freedoms? The hoodie/pants thing could be one

Posted: 5/14/2010 7:29 AM PDT
Forgot to say Good luck! GOOD LUCK lol R.

Posted: 5/14/2010 7:28 AM PDT
That sounds interesting Faero- You could start if off randomly with one of the rock-n-roll band characters stating the laws sarcastically to his fellow friends and then have him or her start making a speech of what they will not have the government make them do which will go on with them going out into the Government ruined world and fighting for their right etc and let it flow from there! Check out this website and click on the game 'State of debate' to give you an idea of what illegal laws you could introduce in your novel's world to work with the law of music not being allowed. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/games/ Example of laws in the game : No hoodies - NCHA (Non-covered head area) I like this law, its funny and teenagers love wearing hoodies so why should they stop wearing it ;) I love wearing hoodies haha!

Posted: 5/11/2010 8:59 PM PDT
I'm not into politics. I don't much about all the intricate workings of the Senate or House or anything, or what bills have to go through to become law. Here's the thing; my story idea is about a world where music is illegal, and follows and very anti-government rock and roll band. I want to set the stage, but not with a general "its the year so and so, and music is illegal." I want something with depth, something specific. Something along the lines of "it all started when medical records were made publicly available." Then the laws keep getting stricter and stricter until I've reached where I want the story to take place. How? If anyone out there is good with this kind of thing, I would very much appreciate it if you could help me out. I don't want you to write it for me, but I would like to write this political beginning with all accuracy, so I don't sound like an idiot. :) If anyone here can help, please let me know. Thanks, Faero