This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

What do folks in England eat for breakfast?  How do you milk a giraffe?  What types of cases go to the Supreme Court?  Can you break a car window with a thermos?  Use this Q & A forum to help supply your characters, plots, and settings with a dose of reality.  Someone, somewhere, has the answer.
Posted: 9/28/2010 5:29 AM PDT
You asked for something ‘different’ that a rape survivor might do, while keeping the event secret - the first thing that came to my mind is - seek sexually transmitted disease testing - perhaps to an obsessive level. Buying home pregnancy tests (if this is a female victim) to an obsessive level. Perhaps installing a home security system by themselves, because they don’t want to explain to anyone why they suddenly want (or need) one. A person might also suddenly seek religion, for no obvious reason, just start to attend Church and maybe read the Bible. Anything that seems completely out of character for your character - maybe even an OCD behavior, like obsessive showering or bathing, could all be signs that something very traumatic has happened to them.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 5/4/2010 3:11 PM PDT
Thos who have been raped are quiet, keep to themselves, we dont, open up, and we become apathetic. For more read a tad of what i've written, I don't want feedback, just want to help ya.

Posted: 4/29/2010 5:00 PM PDT
As a rape "victim" survivor, it is really up to the person. But, some of the "victims" do indeed go into fetal possion when it comes to the situatuon, but, after a while, half to most survivors rarely don't and/or do express their feelings about it. So, take my advice, think or imagine that you got rape at one point of time and noone knows that it happened. But, keep it in mind, that you are psychologically scared from it and people, somewhat, notice the change in behavior has changed. Finally, have one of your character(s) ask the person, who got raped, if they were sexually asaulted or sexually abused, then hace the "victim" admit that he, yes men do get raped, or she was raped. Have the character offers councilling and rape crisis management class. Have the "victim" make a decusion to take the advice or leave it alone. By the way, all "victims" don't come out and say that he or she was raped but insist on having a person to be accepting to thus situation and help this person out all the way until the person feels that he or she is ready to go on his- or her- self alone. I hope that this helps. By the way, I became a special victims unit detective and mentor to male victims. Keep up the good work. MalibuMiller

Posted: 4/21/2010 9:07 AM PDT
Here's a good site that talks about Rape http://www.k-state.edu/counseling/topics/relationships/rape.html#Naming the Act

Posted: 1/11/2010 7:06 PM PST
Read the story 'Intended Harm' here on WeBook. Browse through the 'Read Now' thread and you will find it. It is written by a very brave survivor and is inspirational for us all to read.

Posted: 9/21/2009 11:40 AM PDT
Depends on the person - and the preferred term is 'survivor' rather than 'victim'. The last thing counselors who've worked withe these folks want to do is emphasise the sense of being a victim. My ex-wife wanted to study martial arts for the first time in her life. She wanted to be able to defend herself, and she started carrying a very sharp knife. Other women curl up in a ball and refuse to go out alone. One woman started the "Model Mugging" program.

Posted: 9/20/2009 10:26 AM PDT
I need what people kinda do differently after being raped without the readers knowing till the end! Any help would be great!!