This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/3/2008 9:38 AM PDT
/agreed
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/2/2008 10:41 AM PDT
Don't worry about putting in too much information when you're writing a first draft. Remember: Everything -- EVERYTHING! -- worth reading has been re-written and revised...a lot. You'll have to do this, too. So let the first draft be a chance to tell the story to yourself. Figure out what happens, and go ahead and include EVERYTHING. Later drafts are for figuring out how to tell the story to your readers. You can go back and take things out, add things, and move things around then. When I write, it's not uncommon for an 80 page first draft of a story to become a 25 page final draft. All the information I take out leaves a trace, and the work feels more authentic and real because of the detail I know, but don't share with the reader. With a novel, it's not uncommon for the first chapter to end up in the scrap heap entirely. You might realize halfway through the book (or all the way through) that that's just not the best way to start the story. So don't spend too much time making it "perfect" now.

Posted: 9/2/2008 5:52 AM PDT
I have never had a book published, I have not even tried yet. I write for fun, but im thinking about having them published. Anyways, on to your concern. I always feel that it is better to start off the book getting right into the story. If you spend the whole first chapter discussing and introducing your characters, a lot of the time the reader will get bored before they get past it. Start you story off and introduce the characters as they come up. It is not only more interesting, but it will also help you write. Most people know what they want to say, so say it, dont dwell on the characters. I do agree with some of the other comments here too, you should start off making the reader fall in love with your main character, but you should do it through his/her actions, not through a discription. ~Meudi

Posted: 9/2/2008 4:10 AM PDT
I always hate my first chapter. I tend to try to introduce the main character through a situation that will reveal quite alot about that character but not very much about the plot. If you use the first chapter to make the reader fall in love with your hero or herione and forget about the plot till later than it may be easier. But only do that if it works for her novel, if it sounds forced or effects the flow of the story than a poorer first chapter is better than a good one that has little to do with the book. xxx

Posted: 9/1/2008 9:01 AM PDT
If you know where the rest of the story goes, just write that. The first Chapter of my novel sucks and I know it. I'm going to finish writing the whole thing first before I go back and edit it though.

Posted: 8/31/2008 5:45 PM PDT
I'm working on a new novel of mine, though I can't get the first chapter off the ground. Each time I do, I read it over, and I feel like I'm putting too much information into it. i keep feeling like it's too.... obvious. (ex. I'd put almost the whole point of the story into it. And, that's just on the first page.) I don't know how to keep it upbeat and understandable without revealing everything. Also, the written material's in first person view, so I'm having a really tough time describing the characters. But, that's not my main problem. What's tough is starting it off. After that, it's smooth sailing. Any ideas? PS. It's the only project that's listed under my pen name.