This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 5/30/2010 2:09 PM PDT
I think it can be done. I really do. Basically, I believe you are taking the villain and slowly turning him into the hero. Sort of. And this is done through love of course. Alright. First step would be to watch Beauty and the Beast. Not quite as intense, but it gives you some ground cover. Of course, that one is the 'tortured' one falling in love. Ok, step two. develop these two's characters until you can answer facebook quizzes for them better than you can for yourself. check out the character chapters from Complete Idiot Guides. The Writing a Novel and Creative Writing ones are good. There's a better one, but I can't remember what it's called. I'll let you know if I remember. Step three. Think up different scenarios with the two of them outside of the story. Like grocery store, library, airport. Figure out how they'll interact there and that can give you a feel for how they'll react in the story. So called step four would be to timeline the guy's change and her reaction to each milestone. It might be easier to go from impassive and uncaring, just following orders, to hatred of her (especially if she shows the strength others suggested) born from bewilderment at her strength(or other such thing). This can lead to the 'explosion' in which he demands to know why. Which leads to understanding of various levels which leads to him avoiding being her torturer, or getting distracted during torture sessions, or him not torturing her near as hard as he used to or something like that until suddenly he's jumping at the chance to torture her, not so he can but to protect her from anyone else who would hurt her harder. The big flip, shove, push, whatever you want to call it, would be where he protects her and everyone (especially her) sees it. Depending on the type of girl she is, he could either hit someone for hitting her or take a blow meant for her. This would lead to her thinking differently about him, and would prove his friendship. After that it's easy. Friendship to love is a piece of cake right? I hope that helps a little. I want to read this when it's done. Good luck and no matter what, Write on!
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 5/27/2010 2:34 PM PDT
You could have the woman have a pretty strong will or something and like she'll never do what he wants and never give in to him and have him find himself thinking that's annoying at first, then grow used to it, then admiring her for it, then start respecting her. After a while he could start noticing that he thinks she's pretty, and so on and so on. That's a really cool story idea also.

Posted: 5/21/2010 6:27 AM PDT
I agree with 'MouseHowell', you could have it so he starts to respect the woman he's torturing and starts feeling protective over her when other guys torture her ??? But somehow have him start to respect her is quite good! Cause the reader will feel anger towards him for torturing women in the first place and then start respecting him for respecting her! : / Just an idea but you have picked quite a tricky challenge for yourself. If it doesn't flow, have it where someone else falls for her instead, not the torturer! R.

Posted: 5/21/2010 2:36 AM PDT
Ohh, thats a challenge...a POW and her torturer....Well, you could first start with him coming to respect her. When someone is being tortured and they show an inner strength that many do not posses, people, even "bad" people, can come to respect that person. An example off the top of my head would be the story of the Missionaries in S. America (don't remember when, but it was years and years ago). The missionaries and their wives tried ministering to this tribe. The tribe goes balistic and murders the husbands. Even though the wives were attacked and hated for years afterwards, the tribe came to respect the inner strength and persistance that the wives showed. Dunno if its a good example, but its the best I can do without research lol. After respect, I'm lost, so good luck lol Much love and zombie brains~

Posted: 4/13/2010 4:08 PM PDT

Tkain
I don't feel this could be done. The tone of the story would not permit this to work. You need to put some distance between the 'guard' who falls in love and the person torturing her. They can't be the same person.

Posted: 4/12/2010 4:13 PM PDT
Maybe when he's "torturing her" (don't know quite what you mean by that-how is he torturing her?) he can subtly start to realize that he's falling in love--send hints. For instance, when he's about to do something harmful or hurtful to her, you could say "and for the first time, he didn't want to do this." or "he hesitated, suddenly not wanting to hurt her again." I know those aren't the greatest sentences, but something along those lines. Each time, he wants to hurt her less and less but he forces himself to until he cant stand breaking her down again.

Posted: 4/5/2010 3:55 PM PDT
No I mean torturing, she's a prisoner of war

Posted: 4/5/2010 4:05 AM PDT

Tkain
I assume you ment to say tormenting, not torture.... Hard to give a great answer without more details however I will take a shot at it. If your character is not the only one tormenting the girl then you can have him slowly start to notice what effect the tormenting has on her and have him start to feel bad about it then try and put a stop to it. If the story takes place over a number of years you could start it out as rough play between kids that becomes name calling and then after a long time friendship with real feelings evolves. Hope that helps spark your creativity.

Posted: 4/4/2010 9:11 PM PDT
Okay I want to make a dramatic change in character throughout my book and I don't want it to be too cheesy or too quick. I want this guy to go from torturing a girl to falling in love with her and being an okay guy. How should I do it? I also don't want it to be too obvious.