This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

Fiction writers talk shop and discuss works in progress. All genres welcome!
Posted: 1/30/2015 1:00 PM PST

There was a fantasy movie along those lines back in the 90's. I think it was called Stardust. A hero sets out on a journey to win a woman. For  whatever reason, a star falls to earth and assumes a human form. Three witches are also after the star. The heart of a star will make anyone young and beautiful. One thing that makes the movie interesting is the hero falls in love with the star and rejects the woman he was after.

On a larger scale, there really are no new plots. Harry Potter is a good example. The whole series can be stripped down to abused orphan with magical powers saves the day. By that definition, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is the same plot. I personally don't care much for Rowling's work but she did some good characters and their reactions are believable.

It all comes down to how real you make your situations and characters. Keywizard

Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 1/29/2015 3:13 AM PST
Of the plotlines itself I've never once heard the idea. But if I take away the plot details such as stars and souls, yes it is rather unoriginal. A group could choose to do something. A rare few have done so, now the main character does so and (hopefully) succeeds. But then again, if you strip away the detail of any story such as names and faces, everything can boil down to an unoriginal plot.
A plots originality isn't based on a small outline, but on a large scale development

Posted: 9/12/2013 6:41 AM PDT
First of all, nothing is truly original anymore so don't let that deter you. As far as your idea, it sounds reasonably unique, but that really doesn't matter. People like J. K. Rowling and GRR Martin didn't write unique storylines, they just did it better than their predecessors. If it's good enough, it will attract attention. Personally, that is what I focus on. My writing is not original, but I work on making it good enough.

To answer your question, the closesrt thing I've read was Whipping Star by Frank Herbert, but the similarities are few.

Good luck,

ET -

Posted: 9/11/2013 5:34 PM PDT
DK,

Who cares?

There's only ONE YOU in the entire world! If you tell your story from your heart and your soul, it will be, by default, totally original.

Just write the f&cker for f&ck's sake!

Eric @ Pyramider

Posted: 9/11/2013 5:23 PM PDT
I know where the story is going. I haven't posted the whole plot. I just want to know if anyone has read something like this.

Posted: 9/11/2013 5:14 PM PDT
Don't ask others, ask yourself. Where do YOU want the story to go? Where does your main character want their story to go?

Maybe you should write an outline, and start with how the story concludes, and work backwards? 

Eric @ Pyramider

Posted: 9/11/2013 5:05 PM PDT
I have several ideas for several different stories, and I would like to start writing them. The problem I am having is making sure they are original. Also, may need collaborators to help. The idea posted below is just a spurt of creativity that has not been fully rounded, so bare with me.

Idea #1
Nova Castle
Starts with the Star Children which is the soul essence of a star. Up in their kingdom they take on a form. They have the option to trade their long life to live on Earth. When they reach maturity they are allowed to fall to Earth in order to decide later if they wish to stay. One star has done this before, but ever since then none have. Except for the main character. The main character jumps from the star plateau, which has him fall past space, clouds and soon lands on Earth to start the journey.

There is a lot of things I'm hiding in the plot and where it is going to go. 

Does this sound original so far, and do you think I should continue with the story?