This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

What do folks in England eat for breakfast?  How do you milk a giraffe?  What types of cases go to the Supreme Court?  Can you break a car window with a thermos?  Use this Q & A forum to help supply your characters, plots, and settings with a dose of reality.  Someone, somewhere, has the answer.
Posted: 1/14/2011 6:30 AM PST
Wouldn't it be easier to have a splash pool in the back of a freight truck? Have a ramp going up into the freight truck and entice the seals with fish.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 1/11/2011 11:30 PM PST
Maybe his eye was more toward comfort than expedience?

Posted: 1/11/2011 10:11 AM PST
Thanks, The seals are hand fed, which should make your proposed version feasible (and significantly more home grown than the seal handler suggested version, which involves finding one of those above ground swimming pools and putting it on a giant flatbed.)

Posted: 1/6/2011 7:56 PM PST
How about a smallish chainlift/hoist, and one of those 2 ton pickup trucks. Poke holes in a tarp, strap it into the bed with bungee cords, fill it with water, life the seals in via the chain-lift (3 chains attached to a heavy duty rubber sheet), and then drive them to the ocean. TO prevent the seals from slipping out, you could just throw on one of those camper-covers (the plastic/aluminum shell with a window). As far as getting th seals onto the rubber sheets, you would prbably be able to lure them in with fish - assuming the seals have been hand-fed in the past. Otherwise it could get dicey, but if its a choice between dying there ot getting them to the ocean, just shoot a tranq into them and then load em up. Hop that helps!

Posted: 1/3/2011 9:00 PM PST
Perhaps WeBookers are concerned that I am going to take your ideas and attempt a daring zoological heist of the L.A. Zoo harbor seals. I assure you, fellow denizens of the Internet, my interest is purely mercenary. I desire to write the best possible version of this scene and want your help. The continuing incarceration of the harbor seals is not my concern. You may hypothesize with confidence, certain that the friendly pennipeds will remain unmolested in their unnatural habitat. I will not promise that the unfriendly pennipeds will remain molested in their natural habitat; I would be speaking out of turn. That settled, I look forward to your prolific advice and wisdom. Thanks!

Posted: 12/14/2010 1:05 AM PST
I'm going to call the zoo for an expert's take on this, but my character isn't an expert. I'd like to know your natural and first response to the following problem: You're want to take three, live, adult harbor seals from their enclosure at the L.A. zoo and deposit them safely in the Pacific ocean. The zoo is abandoned, the seals will die if left alone, you could procure just about any type of equipment you might need, if you know where to find it, which you might not. How would you do it?