This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 3/26/2009 1:12 PM PST
The art of tattooing dates back to before the Romans. The Egyptians practiced tattooing as a form of beautification, as did other cultures. Not sure how far back it goes, but I know it predates the Roman era. Hope this helps. :)
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 2/11/2009 2:57 PM PST
ash with urine (your own) will leave a healthy scar. the infections from others' can kill you.

Posted: 2/4/2009 1:54 AM PST
I read somewhere that people cut themselves then rubbed some sort of ash in the wound to create a permanent scar.

Posted: 2/3/2009 4:58 PM PST
I don't think they were around in Roman times, but I do know that they branded people like we do to animals today. If branding wasn't available, then some used a knife to make a scar on the person. (That might be a little much though) If that doesn't work, maybe it could just be a special birthmark. Hope this helps!

Posted: 1/28/2009 12:59 PM PST
*raises eyebrow* English? I didn't know they were around then :) Back to topic though. Maybe she has a tribal mark on her shoulder that means something special?

Posted: 1/27/2009 7:56 AM PST
I don't know of it's true or not, but I heard that when the Romans invaded, the leaders of the English shouted "Get out the Woad!" and they all ran away!

Posted: 1/27/2009 6:30 AM PST
Off topic, Woad was not permanent as a marking. The woad paint might have been frightening to the Romans... but there was a secret behind its effectiveness. The plant dulls certain senses - i.e. pain. So they couldn't feel pain. That was how it was really effective. Sort of like in Paolini's newest book. Haha. Except Celts charge like madmen, making them more dangerous.

Posted: 1/25/2009 3:13 PM PST
thanks alot the website helped LOTS http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/newslink/item/1156860078 for anyone else

Posted: 9/17/2008 6:50 AM PDT
hello rose try this for some information www.ncl.ac.uk this is the website of the university of newcastle in england. if you type tattoo into the search box it will bring up some information and press releases which accompanied an exhibition which they ran in 2006. there is some interesting detail there including a formula for the ink which the romans used. hope this helps you

Posted: 9/16/2008 11:11 PM PDT
bump

Posted: 9/13/2008 4:39 AM PDT
back on subject...does anyone know specifically what sort of tatoos were used on slaves. my character is a girl and i think should have either a rose (since when the Romans tacked a rose on the door it meant a secret meeting) or a Latin anacrynom that means Roman property (like SPQR, only different). She's the slave of the soldiers, and if you need more info...look at how sick the soldiers were...and then guess what happens...

Posted: 9/13/2008 2:29 AM PDT
That's true but the blue markings may or may not have been permanent. No one knows for sure. However, for argument's sake, tattoos were around long before the Romans.

Posted: 9/13/2008 12:22 AM PDT
The Picts in Scotland did tattoo themselves back when the Romans were invading the British Isles, that's partly how they got their name. They tattooed their bodies with a blue substance called woad. That is what's on Mel Gibson's face in the movie Braveheart. Apparently the Picts' tattoos terrified the Roman soldiers.

Posted: 9/11/2008 8:36 AM PDT
the website given by AndiJayne says that tatooing is over 5000 years old (and yes, the Romans did tatoo - mostly slaves...which is really helpful...considering everything...thanks! and i hope you learned something new.

Posted: 9/10/2008 11:20 PM PDT
I'm pretty sure tattooing wasn't around in Roman times, but I know branding was. So if you can't give the character a tattoo, a brand would work just as well

Posted: 9/10/2008 7:32 PM PDT
Well, I know the word 'tattoo' itself derives from about the 18th century and it most likely from a Polynesian language. I'm not sure how credible a resource this is, but the following link is to an article on the history of tattoos that seems pretty informative: http://www.designboom.com/history/tattoo_history.html

Posted: 9/10/2008 6:03 PM PDT
does anyone know if the art of tatooing was discovered in Roman times? yeah...i know about SPQR (i have seen Gladiator) but does anyone know anything about other "tatoos" they used a character in a story i am writing has a distinct mark on her shoulder that she is a slave to the company of soldiers.