This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/22/2008 7:35 AM PDT
Go where the energy is! If you're enjoying writing about what happened 5 years earlier, and that's where you're doing your best writing, don't be afraid to scrap what you thought you were doing. Would you rather have more fun and write a better book, or would you rather stick to the original plan?
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/20/2008 2:54 PM PDT
I once took a writing class, and the prof told us that if we have too many flashbacks it means we started the story in the wrong place. It sounds like your story starts five years earlier than you thought it did-- but don't be afraid to revise and rework it! The more drafts you have, the better your novel will be.

Posted: 9/20/2008 11:19 AM PDT
It's always annoying to have to restart but it happens. But nothing that you've written will go to waste. Sometimes a story will tell you where it wants to go and sometimes it's best to go with it. It sounds like you've already written it. What tense are the flashbacks in? If they are in past, past tense then jsut alter them so they are in simple past. Go with your instincts.

Posted: 9/20/2008 9:37 AM PDT
So I've been working on this novel. It's not the first time I've tried to write a novel, but it's the first time I've gotten this far. Anyway, I've written about 150 pages, and I realized that more and more of what I'm writing is flashbacks. Basically, I'm writing about what happened 5 years before my story actually starts, when my main character got his girlfriend pregnant, and there was this thing that happened in their town and he ended up going to jail even though he didn't do it. The book is supposed to start when he gets out of jail, but now half of what I've written is about the thing that happened that made him go to jail in the first place. So my question is, do I start over and make the story about the thing that happened five years ago? Or do I keep going with what I was doing? If I do that, should I keep the flashbacks in, or take them out? It's starting to feel like nothing much really happens after he gets out of jail! All the good stuff is in the flashbacks.