This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook's superstore for talking shop: colons vs. semicolons; dialogue format; point of view.  And everything in between.
Posted: 3/26/2013 1:14 AM PST
Hello Frank It's been a long time - a long, long time - but I don't recall growing up in America that 'He threw it out of the window,' was not standard usage. Having lived in Britain now for 30 years and writing for British readers I now say: 'He threw it out the window.' 'Chicago Manual of Style' has nothing to say about it. I shall do some research and come back. It's clearly okay in American dialogue because that's the way it's used by many. Neither Fowler nor Gower have anything to say about its usage in this context. All the best with your writing. Warmest regards Riis
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/23/2011 6:15 AM PDT
I agree. It's a dialect issue. I think some authors have trouble telling when they are writing standard English and when they are writing in a dialect. It's tough to tell sometimes. I do it a lot. I guess that's what webook is good for, so that those errors can be pointed out!

Posted: 8/27/2011 7:32 AM PDT

oldreeder

... as in "out (of) the window" or "a couple (of) days"? I know people in North America talk like that and therefore that such useage is acceptable in dialogue or even in first person narration where the intention is to convey something about the character of the narrator. But when that character is a teacher ... of English?