This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 12/30/2008 2:01 AM PST
Personally, I'm not a great fan of prologues. I dislike beginnings where all of the players and situations are described as in a play. I would dive straight into the story, introducing the characters one by one, making sure that the reader fully knows and understands each person before presenting the next. Their backgrounds should also be filled in slowly so that, by the end of the first chapter, the main character should be fully understood. Just to try and 'hook' the reader, it's a good idea to start with a thought provoking statement such as a famous quotation or maybe a proverb. How about opening with: "The other man's grass is always greener?" Good luck with the story. Bopb.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 12/29/2008 10:37 PM PST
I have an idea for a story, but I'm having a bit of trouble as to how I want to begin it. It is set in present-day England and revolves around a woman who begins an affair with her husband's best friend who comes to live with them and their young daughter after he has a bit of misfortune that leaves him homeless. I was thinking that I could begin it with a sort of prologue set during the affair with the woman thinking on what a mistake she is making and what she needs to do to make it right, but I'm really not sure. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Sign-Up or Login to Reply