This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 6/21/2010 6:40 PM PDT
1.) Don't worry about the title. I didn't get a title for my first book until I was a third of the way through the second one. 2.) If I only get a few chapters on something, I usually put it in my abandoned projects folder. I find that I often have great ideas that I just can't give life to. Set it aside, pick up something else, then take a look at it later. That might not be your number one genre. Perhaps you should be writing in science fiction or romance instead of fantasy. Experiment. 3.) That sounds just like my normal writers block. To break my block, I usually read lots, listen to inspiring music (David and & Diane Arkenstone are awesome for that) 4.) Perhaps you should start in the middle, then go back to the beginning. For my first book, I didn't write the Prologue until about chapter twenty. Perhaps you should write a bit of an outline (though that is impossible for some people) and start later on. Good luck and I hope this helped! -PeacePerson
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 6/19/2010 10:24 AM PDT
1. I wouldn't lose a moment's sleep worrying about the title just now. Sometimes you don't know what the title is until it's written. 2. Step away. Not forever, just for now. Find something else to do that will clear your mind out. For me in hot weather like today it's a swim. Other times, I have to go away to the lake for an hour or two and just be alone to think. 3. I'm not as excited at 41 as I was at 16 either. Though I am not happy about it, I have learned to tuck my imagination away and I seldom pull it out anymore because doing so is very tiring and requires so much more effort. Do not fall into that trap. Having to live in the real world sucks, but to get the bills paid, it must be done. In the meantime, keep a little pad and a pen close by. If anything pops into your head-ANYTHING-jot it down and keep it for later. 4. 4. Start it the way it starts. Don't get so hung up on grabbing the reader right now. You can always ALWAYS go back later and tweak things. Get it going, get the rhythm of it going, and try not to over think things like opening sentences. I wish you luck.

Posted: 6/13/2010 4:32 PM PDT
I agree with what everyone has said so far, most importantly though is never give up. Ive found talking to friends and family about it, will help generate ideas, also once they hear about it they might want to read it which helps keep you on the ball. As for going back an editing over and over and over again try telling yourself you can only read the last so many paragraphs before you write again, or better yet don't read it at all concentrate on writing the whole thing first. Don't worry about it being messy of lack of details, once you have the meat of it down, then you can take time adding the bread and butter of the story so to say Hope this helps

Posted: 5/3/2010 9:12 PM PDT
I agree with Tkain and Gradwell. One thing that has helped me in the past is writing down everything I want to accomplish in the novel. Also, I was writing with a good friend of mine whose ideas kept the thought process going and the story alive. So I guess I would also recommend bringing in a good friend or someone that you trust to help you in any way. As far as the titel dilemma, I've always been told to come up with the title last so ur not tryin to fit the story into the title, but rather the title will fit into the story. Hope this helps

Posted: 3/27/2010 7:44 PM PST
Thanks 4 The Helpful Tips Tkain! = ) Kate_Roux

Posted: 3/27/2010 7:43 PM PST
Thanks 4 The Helpful Tips MTGradwell! = ) Kate_Roux

Posted: 3/24/2010 7:35 AM PST
my advice if you are having trouble thinking up a title is to ask your friends or family. they may have some good ideas!

Posted: 3/24/2010 6:25 AM PST
1. That sucks. It seems that whatever word you pair with dragon, that combination is already taken (thanks in no small part to those other Dragon Keeper Chronicles). I thought about "Dragon Master Chronicles" (Google: 5 hits, all seemingly chance juxtapositions of "Dragon Master" with "Chronicles"). However, "Dragonmaster (all one word) Chronicles" appears to be taken, albeit only by a fanfiction. "Dragonmaster tales"? (Google: "No results found for "Dragonmaster tales". "Dragon Master tales". with a space between dragon and master, brings up lots of hits but that's almost entirely because of "The Dragon Master: Tales of Tuathmair, #1". An advanced google search for pages including the phrase "Dragon Master tales" but excluding Tuathmair retrieves five hits: four chance juxtapositions, and one that's a Live Action Roleplay costumes site, not a story.) If you like that, make sure you get at least a rough draft of the first page of book one up quickly, to stake your claim. If it's already up, change the book title to include the series name (e.g. from "Dragon's XYZ" to "Dragon's XYZ: Book one of the Dragonmaster Tales series". If you find some other name that you like, make sure when you Google it that you surround the name with quotation narks if it contains spaces. Incidentally, my own "The Dark Lord" clashes with another published fantasy book, "Dark Lord", but I suppose I should have anticipated that. My "Free Money" actually clashed with another project on this site, so I had to call it "Free Money 2"; and my "Dragonglide" shares its name with a dragon-filled 3D shoot-em-up game, but at least that one's OK because I wrote the game :-). 2. If you rewrite, make sure that you don't delete the original. Call your drafts chapter1.drafta, chapter1.draftb and so on. Some time before you run out of letters of the alphabet, you should print off your drafts and go through them with a pen, circling or underlining the most memorable phrases. Produce a chapter which is a synthesis of all the best previous efforts, then move on to the next one. Do not return to chapter 1 after starting chapter 2, unless it is absolutely necessary in order to fix a serious discrepancy. If possible, write each chapter in a single session without any pauses, so that you don't get time for second thoughts. 3. The decreased excitement is probably because you feel that the story which you began back then should also have been finished back then. Finish book 1, or an important chunk of it at least, and the excitement should return, hopefully for long enough to carry you through the rest of the project. Having time to sit around and imagine your story every hour of the day was actually the problem. While you were imagining, you weren't writing. It's called procrastination, and it can swallow up any amount of time, even a whole lifetime. The more time you have, the more time it swallows up. So now that you have less time that may actually help, provided you can summon up the discipline needed to write. 4. Go to the library and read several fantasy novels by well-known authors, but only the first page of each, to see how the professionals do it. Then rate some pagetofame entries, and when you come across ones which you would rate highly, or which have been rated highly by others, try to see what it is about them that makes them special. Usually, they jump straight into the thick of the action. Try to do that yourself. No starting with a description of the weather, not even if it really was a dark and stormy night. If you have a first page and the action doesn't start until half way down it, then consider removing the first half page. Don't delete the removed text - cut and paste it into a separate document for possible inclusion later on or for possible restoration if you removed too much. I hope that helps. Martin Gradwell.

Posted: 3/24/2010 5:45 AM PST

Tkain
1) You will most certainly have to change the name of the book. You might concider going with some simple like the main characters name & story. ie, Maxmillian's Story, or Maxmillian and the Dragons. 2) I would suggest that you try writing short chapter summeries so that you can lay out the plot of the entire novel. This should help cut down on the rewriting of each chapter but that is still something that must be done at some point. 3) This could be a sign that you need to step away from the current story and work on something else for a bit. Try writing a short story or working on an aspect of your current book you may have ignored like the history of dragons on your world. 4) Every writer has this problem, no quick and easy fix for it. I find that there are three ways to open a book. High drama scene. Action scene. Interesting visual reveal scene. Hope this was of some help to you. Tkain

Posted: 3/24/2010 2:17 AM PST
Okay now if you have clicked on this i appreciate you for taking time to help me with my dilemma's. So thanks : ) 1. My story is about dragons and humans combining together to defeat evil super beings and I named the series The Dragon Keeper Chronicles though another series also with dragons but with a totally different storyline has the same name and is a best-seller and thats really doing my head in because when i came up with the name i was soaked about it and now im not so sure : ( 2. I can't seem to continue writing even after ive wrote two or more chapters. I always rewrite the whole thing. I guess im kinda hard on myself too and expect myself to write like C.S Lewis and J.K Rowling, not that I expect to be as famous as them but to have the skill to write like a 1957 authour (since my story is based upon a world that never changes from the year 1890) would be awsome and not that i'm in love with myself but i think i have a pretty great imagination like that of J.K Rowling possibly not as developed yet but hey i'm somewhere near her! : ) 3. I do not seem as excited as when I was sixteen to sit down and write my story. I don't know whether it's because I now work and don't have as much time as what I used to have to sit around and imagine my little story every hour of the day, but yeah and i'm scared i may forget about it and i really don't want too! It seems like such an awsome project and i want to see all five novels completed eventually!! 4. Its getting real frustrating that i cannot start the first chapter of my first novel. I hate it! Truly hate it that i can not even come up with something that would grab a readers attention and that would start the story off. Hmmm dilemma after dilemma! Grrrrr!!! Thats it for now my brain can only give out so much dilemma's and since its almost 8.30pm im guessing my brain is tired from doing so much all day. Anyway if you have any suggestions, ideas or anything to pass on to me I would really appreciate it!! : ) Any help is better than no help. thanks! : ) kate_roux