This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 7/25/2009 11:09 PM PDT
I would probably start out with her going about a normal day when something totally weird happens like when she wishes that her teacher would let them do whatever in class, or she wishes the most popular girl in school who always makes fun of her suddenly becomes a total geek. Something along those lines, then she goes home and demands that her parents tell her what's going on. Her mom or dad or both explain to her what is going on and what she is. Or: She could find complete and total power in her new found ability, and decides to literally "rule" her school. However to put a bit of a twist on the story, you could make her adopted so she doesn't know who her parents and what she is. She could discover a whole witch "underground", or something. It depends on if you want her to be good or bad and if you have any ideas on what you want her situation to be like later in the story. Hope I helped.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 7/16/2009 4:17 AM PDT
Is she going to be a good witch or an evil witch? She wakes one morning with a terrible tickle in her throat and an awful tingling feeling in her nose. She knows a cold is coming on. By lunchtime, she is sneezing uncontrollably. She covers her mouth during one of her sneezes and when she looks into the tissue, she notices that it's covered in.____. She excuses herself and makes her way to the bathroom where she sneezes once again, her tissue again is covered in _________. She goes to dear old Mommy in terror, worried that she has some weird form of cancer that is turning her mucus into _______. Instead, her mother (aunt, grandmother...whatever) sits her down and explains the situation to her. Or, she has a cat. She is awakened one morning to hear a strange voice in her room. She sits up in bed and tries to shake from her mind what she believes is a dream. As she is rubbing her eyes, she hears the voice again and the voice is coming from the end of her bed where her cat is sitting..... She is, I am assuming, a teen or a young witch? She is at school one day and is being bullied by some one. She has been the victim of this bully since kindergarten because even though no one can quite put their fingers on it, she is different. Finally she has had enough and she confronts her bully by saying to him/her, "I wish you would just drop dead!" (Or whatever) and is shocked when the bully does! Naturally, she is terrified. Her parent/s are called to the school, she is expelled (or whatever) and once she is home, the parent/s explain everything. I hope I have helped.

Posted: 6/16/2009 8:26 PM PDT
I would put the start of the story as close to the first action as possible. I would personally write the story as finding out that she is a witch, and have the rest of the story be about how she deals with it. If you want the reveal at the end, you need to build up to it, probably have her stumble onto her mother's spellbook, or have a witch shopkeeper give her cryptic advice while she buys a book for school. But maybe you even want everything to be a little bit misleading, where everything could even build up to her becoming something different, like a werewolf, but simultaneously hint that she's a witch, or something like that.

Posted: 5/31/2009 4:02 PM PDT
The way most stories like that start is that the person suddenly does something magical that they can't explain. Or, as was said above, the family suddenly reveals the secret to this person. Not that you have to follow that pattern, but that's how most stories like that start.

Posted: 5/31/2009 9:37 AM PDT
Well, she could be waking up after a long day or she could be preparing to have a conversation with her parents about something really important that all her older sisters had to talk to them about, and they call it 'the important talk' or something like that. You haven't given enough detail for me to think of a start, there are a million things you could do but I don't know which one would suit your story better, so maybe you should try and elaborate your post. Good luck and hope this was useful!! ps: please check my story if you have time!

Posted: 5/31/2009 2:54 AM PDT
Okay, so I'm starting a new story and I don't know how to start it. It's about a teenage girl who finds out she's a hereditary witch. How can I start?

Albury BookShelf