This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 7/21/2009 4:32 AM PDT
Thank y'all for the replies. Very enlightening.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 7/20/2009 6:01 PM PDT
Finding pictures of real people who look like them can help. It'll help you formulate that 3-D picture. If you want to describe like Tolkein, go back over the book. Find the place where they first meet Stryder and look at how he described it. You don't have to do it exactly like that, but it never hurts to get some ideas from the masters. ;) It always helps me to do things like that.

Posted: 7/17/2009 12:27 AM PDT
I found that I imagine the personality first, probably patterned after two or three people I've met, and after I've written a few pages, their appearance begins to jell in my mind.

Posted: 7/16/2009 4:31 AM PDT
Is it possible, then, that what we think we know of our characters is not who they really are? Maybe what we imagine and what comes out on "paper" don't sync up because what we imagine is not the "reality" of that character? At times what I thought the character looked like and what comes out when I actually write it are very different, and sometimes I find that what comes out is better than I had imagined. Different but better. There is also the train of thought that descriptions should not be too specific so that the reader can imagine the character to the reader's own liking. However, I don't think Tolkien would agree. When I read the books, I fell in love with Stryder and I drew a mental picture of what he looked like. When the movies came out, the actor who played him looked exactly as I had imagined. Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf, all the characters looked exactly as I imagined. Even Gollum. So obviously Tolkien painted a very specific and accurate description of these characters. Or did he let us get to know their personalities so well that we felt that we "knew" them, that we could invite them in and know them personally? Maybe I over think this crap? But I am trying desperately to unlock my creativity again, so I am over analyzing every little aspect of every thing.

Posted: 7/3/2009 11:25 AM PDT
I have the same problem. I've imagined the characters exactly as I want them and then when I write the description which -at the time- I think is good, I notice later it is not what I envisioned at all.

Posted: 6/25/2009 8:04 PM PDT
In my mind's eye, my characters are so vivid and clear, but for some reason, when I try to write about their appearance, their physicality, I never seem to get it quite right. So I try to find pics online of actors or other folk who seem to fit the bill, then I write a physical description based on a conglomeration of those pictures. How do y'all do it?