5 Page Challenge Tips
Congratulations on making it to Round 2 of PageToFame! To maximize your chances of success, consider these tips:
- Stick to the limit. Your submission should be between 1000 and 1200 words.
- Short is sweet. You must hold your readers’ attention from start to finish, and shorter may be better. We recommend submitting a sample closer to 1000 words.
- Make it a cliffhanger. End the submission in a moment of rising tension or conflict if possible—leave readers wanting more!
- Prologue? Perhaps. If your book has a prologue, you may use some or all of it as your sample. However, if the prologue isn’t essential to the story, or if it doesn’t contain compelling action or conflict, consider starting your sample with Chapter 1.
- Want to submit more? You will have the option of submitting an additional 4000-word sample in the next step of the wizard.
- Readers decide. If you do decide to submit more, readers will choose whether they want to check it out after they’re done rating your first five pages.
- Gauge your work’s appeal. Readers will not rate the longer sample. However, PageToFame will track how many people read further, so you can find out how eager your fans are for more work.